Amazon has placed a huge bet on India’s biggest shopping season. Diwali is just around the corner and this is the time where Indians stock up on all kinds of gifts – from electronics to clothes to food – and Amazon wants a huge piece of the ecommerce pie, this festive season.
Therefore, Amazon India decided to launch the Global Store just in time for Diwali.
What is the Amazon Global Store?
Basically, Amazon has opened access for Indian customers to the Amazon USA marketplace. They can now:
- Indian Amazon shoppers can now purchase products sold on Amazon’s US marketplace.
- Eligible products carry the ‘Global Store’ mark.
- Buyers will pay through local currency, using their own debit/credit cards.
- Fast shipping of items, with typical delivery time not more than 15 days.
- Online Return Center for easy product returns.
- Amazon handles the payment of customs’ and import charges.
Why is this Important?
Because this is the first step in Amazon’s plan to conquer India’s growing e-retail landscape.
According to Amazon.in Country Head Amit Agarwal, “While initially (the store will have) products from the US, in future tens of millions of products from key markets like United Kingdom, Germany and Japan (will be listed) as well.”
With the introduction of the Amazon Global Store, the selection of products on the Indian marketplace has reached 85 million products, from a previously meagre 4 million products. Amazon customers can now access high-fashion brands, like Jessica Simpson, which is going to help Amazon win the local market from Flipkart, especially the fashion market, where Flipkart’s Myntra and Jabong are huge leaders.
What Else is Coming Up for Amazon India Sellers?
Amazon’s already held part one of their sale in the first week of this month. Amazon has a lot more planned for India. Here’s what they have right now and what’s coming up:
- The Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale is slated to begin in three days
- It will be held from October 17th – October 20th
- Free imaging and cataloguing services for Amazon India startups
- Private Labelling
- FBA shipping, so you can sit back and count your sales
- Global Selling
- …a whole lot more during Mega Diwali Celebrations
Read How Big Indian Amazon Sellers Are
Amazon.in now has 100 sellers who earn in crores through the marketplace. Money Control’s Priyanka Sahar interviewed Amit Agarwal via email this month. Here are a few takeaways from the interview:
- This first Great Indian Festival Sale was 3X bigger than last year’s.
- Electronics weren’t the only commodity sold – everything from clothes to makeup to kitchen appliances saw huge sales.
- There’s a 5X increase in the number of customers.
- 70% of new customers came from Tier I and Tier II cities across India.
- Tier III locales grew a whopping 30X over last year’s.
- Since last year, the seller base in India has grown by a humongous 200%.
These are unprecedented numbers, even by Amazon’s standards and we predict the market to only go uphill from here.
Don’t wait out the online revolution in India. Subscribe to an Amazon research tool now and start your online empire.