Basic Keyword Research Formula for Newbie Amazon Sellers
While both Google and Amazon can be expected to change their algorithms to stay current, what remains the same through all these updates is that search still depends on hitting the right keywords. Therefore, in this blog, we tell you how to initiate keyword research if you want to sell on Amazon.
Begin by Brainstorming
Start by going through blogs, articles and webpages relevant to your industry.
- Narrow down on topics: At this stage, think about 4 -5 topics that are the most directly relevant to your clientele. For example, if your selling iPhone covers, your relevant topics can be Apple, iPhone, iPhone covers, Cover art and the like.
- Think of phrases that can be used as queries: Once you’ve narrowed down on topics, think of phrases customers may enter into amazon to look for your product. For example, under ‘Apple’ a keyword you could go for might be ‘Apple iPhone 6 covers’ r simply, ‘Apple covers’. Adding relevant keywords will help you rank higher in the results’ pages on Amazon (SERPs).
Take it a Step Further to Keyword Generation
Employ a professional amazon keyword research software like AMZInsight, and AMZ Shark for your final keywords’ list.
- Keyword Ideas: In AMZInsight, go to Keyword Ideas’ tab and type in your main keyword. Considering the example above, we’ll type in “iPhone covers”. Select your region of choice and hit search. You’ll be presented with hundreds of keyword options related to your niche.
- Build Your Universe: Hit the ‘+’ sign in front of each keyword to add them to your final list if you think they’re relevant to your list. Once you’ve added every word you want, you can copy the list and paste it to excel. You also have the option to export all keyword ideas to an excel sheet by clicking on the ‘export’ button.
Exploring Keyword Types for Amazon Rankings
Add both long-tail and short-tail keywords to your universe to target all kinds of customers.
- Short-tail Keywords: Usually no more than three to four words, these are the keywords that’ll bring you the most traffic from Amazon to your product page. Instead of queries, they’re usually just incredibly short statement, like ‘iPhone 6s back cover’.
- Long-tail Keywords: Since you’re likely to have a presence off-Amazon, too, these phrases are important to bring you traffic from search engines, like Google. These are usually five or more words and are often posed as questions. For example, “How can I buy iPhone covers?”
Spy on Your Competitors Ranking on Amazon
You also need to check out how your competitors are ranking for the keywords you’ve chosen.
- AMZInsight Ranking: Through AMZinsight’s Ranking and Product/Keyword tracking features, you will be able to see which products are ranking where against the keyword of your choice.
- Go through competitor’s Amazon listing: Another great way to generate more keywords is to visit competitor’s products’ Amazon pages and see niche-relevant terms used in titles and descriptions. Add keywords used there you haven’t yet added to your universe.
Click here to start your keyword research.